Building Emotional Intelligence and Authenticity the Punk Rock Way
Building Emotional Intelligence and Authenticity the Punk Rock Way with Dr. J.J. Kelly
In this episode, I spoke with Dr. J.J. Kelly, Licensed Clinical Psychologist & Emotional Intelligence Skills Training Expert & Consultant. In this episode, we discuss Dr. J.J.’s unorthodox approach to treating mental health, including the importance of emotional intelligence and what it is, how to deal with oppression in the mental health system, and how you can improve your mental health by learning skills.
Dr. J.J. Kelly, The Punk Rock Doc, is a licensed clinical psychologist, emotional intelligence skills training expert, and bestselling author of The Holy Shit Series. J.J. is also the CEO & Founder of UnorthoDocs, Inc., a punk alternative to traditional psychotherapy. Dr. Kelly and the unortho “docs” live their lives with the belief that global healing is achieved by teaching people the skills to like themselves.
In this episode, we discuss:
- All the “-ism’s” and systemic oppression that exist in society also exist in mental health
- How learning to act according to your own personal values which in turn will make you more confident
- Why “happy people act right” and how that connects to emotional intelligence
- How to separate thoughts, emotions, and actions
- How Dr. J.J. Kelly’s approach to mental health is more about independence and teaching people skills rather than dependency that’s seen in other types of therapy in the mental health system
- How negative self-talk needs to stop and is normalized too much in society
- Useful tools in emotional intelligence to help you stop pathologizing yourself
… and more!
*Note: there are unbleeped curses in this episode.
Connect with Dr. J.J. Kelly:
Calmly Coping is a self-improvement podcast for overthinkers who struggle with high-functioning anxiety to help you feel more calm, balanced, and confident.
**TAKE THE FREE HIGH-FUNCTIONING ANXIETY QUIZ**
*** INTRO/OUTRO MUSIC ***
All content here is for informational purposes only. This content does not replace the professional judgment of your own mental health provider. Please consult a licensed mental health professional for all individual questions and issues.