The Power Of Positive Self-Talk In Decreasing Anxiety with Jim Van Allan
In this week’s episode, I spoke with Jim Van Allan, vice president of schools and a professional speaker of over 12 years. Jim also hosts a podcast, Communicate to Motivate. In this episode, Jim shares his experience being a public speaker as an introvert who struggles with social anxiety. He shares the importance of self-awareness, effective communication skills, managing anxiety-provoking social situations, and the power of positive self-talk. This is an excellent episode that I know anybody struggling with anxiety and/or social anxiety will find helpful!
In this episode you will learn:
- Jim’s experience being a public speaker as an introvert struggling with social anxiety
- How introverts vs. extroverts interact differently in social situations
- Why introverts need to actively work on communication skills
- How self-awareness is the key to effective communication
- How having a plan can help you prepare mentally for a social situation
- Strategies to use to communicate in social situations
- Tips to jumpstart a conversation when coping with anxiety
- How to reframe the way you view anxiety and accepting yourself as you are
- The difference between listening and hearing
- Specific tips for how to be a good communicator
- Why sharing your own experiences and stories when listening to somebody isn’t always helpful
- How to communicate in meetings as an introvert in both in-person and virtual meetings
- How Jim copes with the nervousness that comes up before public speaking engagements
- The power of positive self-talk to communicate with yourself
Where you can find Jim:
Communicate to Motivate Podcast: https://communicatetomotivate.libsyn.com/
Calmly Coping is a self-improvement podcast for overthinkers who struggle with high-functioning anxiety to help you feel more calm, balanced, and confident.
****TAKE THE FREE HIGH-FUNCTIONING ANXIETY QUIZ ****
***** INTRO/OUTRO MUSIC *****
Rescue Me (Instrumental) by Aussens@iter (c) copyright 2018 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. http://dig.ccmixter.org/files/tobias_weber/57990 Ft: Copperhead
All content here is for informational purposes only. This content does not replace the professional judgment of your own mental health provider. Please consult a licensed mental health professional for all individual questions and issues.